Fan DVD #9: Illustrious Corpses (Francesco Rosi, 1976)

I had been meaning to purchase the Italian DVD of Illustrious Corpses (Cadaveri Eccellenti) for some time only to recently find that it had gone out print. Typical! After months of searching a copy finally showed up on eBay.it; a great resource for those hard to find Italian DVDs and VHS. As the DVD has no English options I was keen to build a fan DVD of this forgotten film. DjangoLi of the lovelockandload forum managed to locate a subtitle file online and was kind enough to make it available for download. Jim Quigley, who built the English subtitles, certainly deserves a pat on the back as this is a dialogue heavy film and it must have took an age to subtitle.

The DVD did not take long to build and was my first attempt at making a dual layer DVD. I also used my new favourite software, VirtualDubMod, to crop and 16×9 enhance the thirty minute extra feature “An interview with Franceso Rosi”. Even though the extra feature does not have any English options I still thought that it would be worthy of inclusion. Again, I created a motion menu and used some of the shots of the “Illustrious Corpses” as the background pictures for the other menus. They look quite effective. Below is a video of the motion menu and some some screenshots taken from my fan DVD:

Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom31262607259043afa032570djpgv0_jxdphijbvddjsib

Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom30902607260053f7b78a51a0jpgv0_chniijergkcccby

Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom30852607261275afb74f1c85jpgv0_lhkfdcjigdybhiq
Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom31842608088612e765dd370bjpgv0_djlvmxrhvleifde

Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom30602607262101c5181ea96ajpgv0_avvomxndmhmtfhb
Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom31642607262795fd5cc90c44jpgv0_iozyixccbeacjrt

Media_httpfarm4staticflickrcom31032607263885f49d5d1f52jpgv0_bodhvcgcacceeto

I have not had time to watch the film yet but even though it is little discussed it is one that is highly regarded by those who have seen it. It is also quite hard to classify: is it a giallo, a poliziesco or an Arthouse film? From what I have seen while building the DVD it bears some similarities to Investigation of a Citizen Under Suspicion (1970), The Masters (1975) and some of the other Italian political thrillers from this period. Plot wise the film is about a detective who is investigating the murders of several respected judges only to find that the Italian Communist Party are involved. Hopefully I will get round to watching it over the next few weeks.

Next up will be a16x9 version of Death in Haiti (aka Tropic of Cancer, 1972) using the colourful widescreen Eire VHS as the source. I had a tinker around with the video in VirtualDubMod and was quite impressed with the results. I might also have a few surprises up my sleeve over the coming month. Stay tuned!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Fan DVD #9: Illustrious Corpses (Francesco Rosi, 1976)

1. F says:

Hi Oliver, I have read your blog with interest and looks like you did a nice job on this particular DVD. Would it be possible you could share the subtitle file? I would love to use it with my existing DVD.Thanks!F

2. Anonymous says:

Let me see if I can dig it out, it is hidden somewhere. Let me know your email address.

3. Philip Wohlstetter says:

Oliver:I love Rosi and Cadaveri Eccelenti in particular. I have the Italian DVD, which is great for me because it’s got Italian subtitles which I can read. But I can’t show it to my friends. I would love to get a copy of it with English subtitles. Could you tell me how?The two essential Rosi films that are missing from DVD (even in Italy) are ‘Il Caso Mattei’ (The Mattei Affair) and "Uomini Contro" (lieterally ‘Men Against" but english title is ‘Many Wars Ago".I read on the Euro Art site that someone was doing subtitles for "Mattei". Do you know anything about this?I’m new to this game so anything you can tell me about how to either download or buy any Rosi would be much appreciated.Thanks,Philip Wohlstetter

4. Christopher Enzi says:

Hello Oliver Carter-Thank you for posting this. I’ve wanted to see this movie since it’s one week run in San Francisco in 1978. I just missed a chance to see it in Berkeley at PFA as I’d read online "since it is now available on DVD" but, to my sorrow, did not confirm (deny).Would you be willing to share a copy of your fan dvd for my personal use? Feel free to contact me at my eMail address or the number on my homepage.

5. Philip Wohlstetter says:

<html><head></head><body style="word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; -webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Confused, here. &nbsp;You are Christopher (?) trying to contact Oliver to get the DVD, am I right?<div><br></div><div>God luck. &nbsp;If you get an answer, let me know.</div><div><br></div><div>Thanks,</div><div><br></div><div>Philip</div><div><br></div><div><br><div><div></div></div></div></body></html>

6. Anonymous says:

Philip/Christopher,Apologies for my delay in replying. Drop me an email at carteror at gmail.com

7. James says:

Like "F", I too have been desperately searching for subtitles for this film. A rapidshare link on lovelockandload is outdated. I found one srt file that gave me a "corrupt file" error when I tried to add it to the film.Puhleeeeze, if you still have this file at hand, I would certainly appreciate a copy in my email box. (You may want to consider re-upping to Rapidshare/Megaupload for others.)Thanking you in advance……James

8. James says: