Back when I was teaching secondary and A Level education I decided to purchase an Xbox as a way to unwind after dealing with not so delightful children. I also had the Xbox modified in order to play backed-up games. Sadly it has not been used and has been living in a loft for well over six months now boxed-up and ready to be sold on.A few weeks ago I decided to sell it on Amazon Marketplace but then remembered how a colleague at UCE uses an old Xbox as a media center, networking it to several hard drives around his house and streaming video onto the Xbox. In fact, a modified Xbox running a program called Xbox Media Center offers numerous possibilities to the user. So I have decided to undertake a little project to turn my old modified crystal Xbox into a fully operating HD compatible media center as an addition to my ongoing research into digital counter-culture as well as pursuit of general interest. I intend to add the following additions:
- A 500GB or 400GB hard drive to replace to current 10GB Xbox hard drive
- A wireless ethernet bridge to share files between my laptop and Xbox
- Xbox Media Center dashboard
- An Xbox HD compatible add-on pack
- An Xbox remote control
- I may also add an option for a external hard drive connection if possible.